Monday, April 27, 2009

Empty Nest

My house is full of boxes! This is not my favorite part of moving. Sorting. Ick! Well the nice thing is I have a chance to go through 18 years of marriage and children's memories. With my youngest daughter getting married, we are now empty nesters. I always thought that was for someone else, now it seems it is my turn. I am finding all sorts of boxes of partially used crayons and lots of little pictures that the girls drew for me. They were always making me some little card that told me how much they love me, how precious those memories are. At one time they seemed like more clutter. Today I clutch them close to my heart and one by one I wipe the tears of the past. I have been putting the wonderful drawings into plastic sleeves so that I can continue to treasure them. I am not good with change. I resist it until I can resist no more.
I know that life is in a constant state of change and nothing is really staying the same, still my memories live and letting them go and putting them away in a trunk or scrapbook seems at moments to be unbearable. For today, I will cherish the time I have to review the past and ponder the future.

6 comments:

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Your post left me misty. My youngest will be leaving for college this summer and I am still in the "This is clutter" stage but I know that I will be experiencing these same feelings in just a few short week.
Yesterday when I was complaining about his clothes all over the place he informed me that when he moves he will keep HIS place much neater. When I asked why he couldn't do that for me now he replied, "If it is cleaner after I leave you won't miss me so much" Actually, I think I will miss him every bit as much, but I am looking forward to this next chapter. I have realized that when they move out on their own they are really never farther than a phone call, text, or e-mail away. Sometimes I think we talk more now than during their harried senior year.

Congrats on your daughter's wedding. You are going to be fine.

I have your blog in my bookmarks so I will look forward to your future posts.

Dianie said...

Hi Debbie,
Oh gosh,
I empathize with you and the empty nest syndrome.. I have a box of pictures and such I need to go through. Though, I am hesitant as I know the tears will roll once again and it's been 4 years since my last baby left home.

Hugs to you :)
~Diane

Melissa Valeriote said...

What a touching post Debbie. My oldest daughter is finishing up her senior year of high school and preparing for College. I'm half way there to an empty nest. These past few months have been an emotional roller coaster of joy and sadness. Sounds like your future will be blessed with a new addition to the family. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding!

Lois Christensen said...

This is so sweet! How wonderful for you to be finding these treasures! Hope your packing goes smoothly and you can get everything done in a timely manner! Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

I always used to write my parents little notes, telling them how much I love them, and infact I still do write them notes, and I know that they treasure them and always will.

Take Care
Love Melanie xxx

Anonymous said...

I am hosting a swap over on my site if you would like to join, please feel free to pop over and take a look.
Take Care
Love Melanie xxx